Friday, December 4, 2009

La Cucaracha...

Today several co-workers and I celebrated one of their birthday parties at a Mexican restaurant called "Cactus" in Madison Park.  The restaurant was delightful!  We started out eating some delicious fry bread and a really tasty salsa.  I am usually very tentative about eating salsa in new restaurants as I do not hold up well to spicy foods.  Gratefully the salsa was very mild, but incredibly flavorful.  They also had a fresh guacamole that was to die for.  I ordered their chicken fajitas which were pretty good, though I prefer my fajitas with a lot of caramelized onions and green peppers and there were only onions (and not nearly enough of them).  After lunch our waiter brought a flan with a candle in it for my co-worker which we all shared.  Well, okay.  I ate 2/3 of it...  But two of them didn't like flan, one of them only took a couple of bites and the birthday girl probably didn't want to look like a pig wolfing down flan.  You know, like I did.:/  Anyway, it was the best flan I have ever had, and I didn't even know that I like flan!  Also, they have a Quesadilla with BACON.  BACON!  Can you believe it?  It is like someone took all of the things I like and threw in something special for Mr. Bear Slippers!  (Honestly, I have never met anyone who love bacon as much as Mr. Bear Slippers.  He is currently working out the logistics of rendering a patty made entirely of bacon to put on his burgers.  I kid you not.  He saw it on the Food Network and never looked back.)   So, there you have it.  Any day that I find a new restaurant that I like is a good day.  Also, this place was just around the corner from a a French restaurant I ate at once about 4 years ago with some friends.  I loved the food and had a wonderful time, but I couldn't remember where it was!  Turns out it is called The Madison Park Cafe, and it is in... You guessed it!  Madison Park!  So this day was doubly successful! 

So, if you are in the Seattle area and looking for a good place to eat, I can recommend Cactus (not to pricey either), or The Madison Park Cafe (pricier).  A caveat on The Madison Park Cafe though... When we were there several of the people at our table ordered coffee after dinner.  It was late in the evening and they asked for decaf.  We happened to be sitting in the back of the restaurant next to the espresso machine and coffee maker and watched one of the waiters dump the coffee from the regular pot into the decaf pot and proceed to fill several people's cups at other tables.  A little disturbed, we asked our waiter about it and he confided that they only serve decaf, but that people can't tell the difference.  When people ask for regular, they just put the decaf in the a regular pot.  How funny is that?

I still recommend them though.  I remember having a squash soup that was incredible.

F. Bear Slippers

No comments: